Board-Ready is a one-day leadership development workshop designed
to strengthen participants on our community’s boards.
Future Board-Ready events to be announced!
With the support of our sponsors, Carter, P.C., and McGuire, Wood & Bissette, P.A., Attorneys at Law, we are able to offer this workshop for $250 per participant, including lunch and materials.
- Strategy vs. Management
- What is the difference between setting the strategic direction for the organization vs. day to day management?
- Legal Responsibilities and Risks
- What are the legal responsibilities of a board member?
- Executive Director Support and Supervision
- How does the board manage the E.D.?
- Board Meeting Protocols: How to Be and Not to Be
- How to object without being objectionable, who is Robert and why are his rules important?
- Mutual Selection
- How do I choose a board and how do they choose me?
- Financial Responsibilities
- What do I need to know to understand the financial health of the organization?
- Fundraising and Friend Raising
- What are my responsibilities as a board member relative to fundraising?
- What is the mission of my organization, and how do we go about fulfilling that mission?
- Financial oversight
- E.D. supervision and evaluation
- Resource stewardship
|Facilitated By: Rebekah Lowe, Certified Leadership Coach, is the chief executive of FizzyWork a nation-wide business leadership coaching and consulting practice. By melding top-notch training, experience, and certification from Georgetown University’s Leadership Coaching Program with a career in executive leadership, Ms. Lowe offers a unique combination of qualifications to support her clients. Ms. Lowe spent 25 years of her business career with Wachovia, including roles as regional executive for East Florida, regional president of Western North Carolina, and executive vice president of Wachovia Bank, N.A. She has also served on numerous boards and committees including the United Way, Chamber of Commerce, and YMCA of Western North Carolina. Her years of board leadership and membership have prepared her to lead the Board-Ready program for Leadership Asheville.|
Other Presenters: Legal and financial experts from McGuire, Wood & Bissette, P.A. and Carter, P.C. will lend their talents and expertise to the program as legal and financial subject matter experts. Participants will also hear directly from local board leaders about board member roles and responsibilities.